Hills Students Weigh in on Boy Scouts’ Decision to Admit Girls

Hills Students Weigh in on Boy Scouts Decision to Admit Girls

By Joe Mezza, Staff Writer

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) announced on Wednesday a landmark decision allowing girls to become Boy Scouts, following earlier decisions allowing both openly gay and transgender boys. It is up to individual chapters to decide whether they want to create separate packs for girls, integrate girls into existing packs, or remain open to boys only. Girls have been involved in several Boy Scouts programs for some time, but up until now, they have not had an opportunity to reach the prestigious rank of Eagle Scout. This change will go into effect in 2019.

Randall Stephenson, national board chairman of the Boy Scouts, says the move will give girls access to the “outstanding leadership development programs” he believes the BSA provides. The Boy Scouts also say that the decision is intended to appeal to families that prefer to involve both their boys and their girls in the same activities.

Many have heralded the move as a step in the right direction for the century-old American institution. Others, however, criticized the decision for a number of reasons. One such critic is Donald Trump Jr, who tweeted a response to the announcement that reads, “Strange, I thought that’s what the Girl Scouts was for???.” The Girl Scouts of America is itself one of the most prominent opponents of the move. It argues that promoting leadership among girls is its domain. Months before the announcement was made, the president of the Girl Scouts claimed that the BSA is opening admittance up to a larger demographic purely to increase its dwindling membership, which currently stands at around 2.3 million.

The Patriot Press asked several Wayne Hills students to share their opinions on the subject. Senior Veronica Gail posed a question of her own in response, asking, “What’s the point of Girl Scouts then?” Gail believes that “they [the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts] should just make one big organization.” Sophomore Jade He shares this sentiment. Mark Noschese, a junior, says, “I really don’t think it should’ve happened.”

Jack Pallatucci, another Junior at Hills, has been in the Boy Scouts for several years and is currently an Eagle Scout. His opinion differs from those of other students asked. “I think it’s fine,” says Pallatucci. “A little shocking but I guess it’s good to have more diversity and get more participants since Boy Scouts is very limited in numbers. Allowing girls could increase the numbers.”