Freshman Transition to High School

Freshman Transition to High School

By Hanna Qira, Staff Writer

With a new school year also comes new teachers and new schedules. For the freshmen, a new school year also comes with a new school altogether.

Every year, eighth graders must make the transition from middle school to high school, which can be overwhelming. They must learn to navigate a new school and balance their extracurriculars with their academics.

Freshman Sydney Ruedt said, “The biggest thing I had to adjust to was playing a sport everyday and then playing a sport right after. It is a lot of work.” Ruedt, a varsity field hockey player, tries to balance her homework and sports by trying to get as much done during the day as possible.

While there are certainly many differences between middle and high school, freshman Jenna Ettman feels that the biggest difference is the teachers. She said, “There are many differences but the biggest would be how different the teachers treat you… they rely on you for everything and you’re on your own, having to manage your time.”

Although there is more responsibility in high school, there is also more freedom. “High school is more work and harder but we get more freedom,” said freshman Sara Weiss.

There is also a lot to look forward to freshman year, such as football games and spirit week. Another freshman, Alyssa Gordon, said “I’m most excited to go to football games on Friday nights and be with my friends!”