German Foreign Exchange Student Enters Hills

By Morgan Cassidy

Miriam Zierott entered Wayne Hills High School on the first day like any other sophomore: nervous, excited, and as a typical high-schooler, tired. She is new to the school, and even more interesting, new to America.

Miriam has come to expand her studies in America as a part of Wayne Hills’ prominent foreign exchange student program. She came to America in August, and immediately sought to become a part of the Wayne Hills community, immersing herself in school and sports. Miriam joined the girl’s cross country team in the fall.

Coming to a new country can be terrifying and exciting, and Miriam is certainly making the best out of this incredible opportunity. Sociable and kind, Miriam goes out of her way to say hello in the hallway and come across as many people as she can. As if speaking fluently in a foreign language is not already impressive, Miriam is sure to stay on top of her studies, “an excellent student” according to English teacher Mrs.Fishman. Zierott is also able to balance enjoying her friends and athletics. She must also battle homesickness and staying with a new family for the school year. The Wayne Hills community should continue to welcome new foreign exchange students to our family, allowing Wayne Hills’ students to learn reciprocally from the foreign exchange students.