WHHS’ Very Own Barden Bellas

WHHS’ Very Own Barden Bellas

By Hannah Lee, Assistant Senior Editor

WHHS welcomes a new activity to share with music lovers. Cara Palomba, the choral director, wanted to bring something new to WHHS. Thus, she organized this A Capella group called Patriot Voices to show others what multiple voices are capable of. When asked what initiated the creation of this group, she said that it was really other people’s’ interest in the type of music that interested her. “There is a lot of hype about A Capella music lately with certain TV shows, like Glee and The Sing Off. And I think it’s really catching on and people are starting to listen to it more.”, she stated.

A Cappella is a sort of music that is performed without any instruments, and is performed solely with voices. Fortunately, this group will continue performing this year. In fact, auditions were held last week. Following the auditions, Palomba was asked what she was expecting for this year’s group and she replied, “This year, I would like to see the group perform a little bit more. I would like to put more ownership on student leaders, so that perhaps they can rehearse in sections and really know their parts. And maybe we can learn more pieces of music than last year.” She also mentioned performing more in the community, and not just in the school.
According to a former Patriot Voice member, Annisa Morales-Logue, Patriot Voices is  a lot of fun to be in and she encourages others to join. She also adds, “Last year, I looked forward to it every week. It’s like how everyone gets excited for a football game. It’s just that much fun.”
Palomba focuses on  the oldies and doo wops. But of course, she’ll put in the occasional pop songs that the members enjoy listening to on the radio.

WHHS, look forward to the performance of your own Pitch Perfect!