Road to the First Round

Chidalu Obidigbo

Quarterback Brendan DeVera has thrown 21 touchdowns on the season.

By Tessa Peloso, Staff Writer

Brisk air, bright lights, longer practices, and the intensity of striving to capture a spot in the playoffs. The Patriots Football regular season is coming to a close and they’re looking forward to winning their next two intense games.

The Patriots, now 6-1, who have proven the ability to win difficult games, are a huge threat to the upcoming teams they will be facing ahead. The football program at Wayne Hills is legendary at the high school level, and other competitors are well aware of what the Patriots are capable of. They have an explosive offense, indestructible defense, and team chemistry that can’t be imitated. Now that the team has captured a spot in the first round of the North 1 Group 4 playoffs, they are motivated, focused and ready to play hard. Senior captain and wide receiver standout, Hunter Hayek has commented on what the team has done to stay motivated.

“Ever since we started this season there’s been a great motivation. We left Metlife last season with a desire in our hearts to get back there again and this time win it. Being in the playoffs and having a spot now definitely helps but the real motivation is getting back to Metlife and winning it this time not only for the school, coaches and our seniors but for last seasons seniors who left that stadium with their heads down.” Said Hayek. 

This Friday, October 28th, the Patriots will have a short bus ride across town to face long time cross-town rival, the Indians of Wayne Valley. The level of extremity between the two teams will make it another prominent game. Next Friday, November 4th, the team will be on their own home turf to face undefeated Irvington, which will test the Patriots powerful abilities.