Relay for Life is Just Around the Corner

By Katherine Kim

Relay season is upon us! The theme for this year’s event is “Cure Carnival” and it will be held at Wayne Valley High School on June 4th, 2016. Committee leaders Katie Casamassina and Mallika Venkatachalam are hard at work managing and planning the event, along with the rest of their 60 member committee.  

Senior and former committee member, Christine Han, states, “Relay for life is an event that visibly and tangibly reminds people how many people are impacted by cancer and shows the strength of a community to solve it. From high school students alone, we raise hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

WHHS is currently 10th in the country in terms of raising money for Relay for Life. The recent car wash taken place at Wayne Valley was a huge success; the Relay committee raised $959. Some committee leaders raised money at the Immaculate Heart of Mary church this past weekend and made a total of $675. On top of that, all those planning to sleep overnight at the event must raise a minimum of $100. 

Over 2,000 people are predicted to participate in this year’s Wayne based Relay for Life event. The overall goal is to raise $160,000; last year Wayne alone raised over $136,000. The committee needs $54,000 more to reach that goal, but money is being raised every minute. All the money made at the event will go to the American Cancer Society, which is an organization dedicated to eliminating cancer. Come out to Wayne Valley High School on June 4th, 2016 at 4:00 PM to show your support and witness all the action!