The March of Dimes Fighting for Babies

The March of Dimes Fighting for Babies

By Rebecca Sands, Staff Writer

The March of Dimes Walk is annual event held at local high schools and community centers across the country. The mission of March of Dimes is to raise money to help to prevent premature babies. The March of Dimes walk was held at WHHS on Sunday, May 1st. Even though the weather conditions were not the best, over 300 participants still showed up to help this amazing cause.
Many students, along with adults, love to be apart of this event. “I love participating in March of Dimes every year,” says Siena Petrie, a junior, “It’s very beneficial knowing that I’m helping to fight something that affects several people worldwide.” Sam Batavia, a junior, was the highest fundraiser at WHHS coming in with a total of $1,164. “I love being a part of The March of Dimes,” says Batavia, “giving families hope for a better future means so much to me.”
The March of Dimes foundation was first created when Franklin Roosevelt was trying to find a cure for polio. Since 2003, the fight to save babies has increased dramatically because premature births are becoming more common. The March of Dimes is raising money and awareness in a fun way that brings people together. “Helping people, especially babies, is the best feeling in the world,” says Casey Grosjean, a junior.