Brazil Calls for a New Leader

By Zach Miller, Staff Writer

More than 1 million Brazilian citizens have protested for the current president, Dilma Rousseff, to step down. Brazilians say they have suffered enough of her corruption and will take no more. President Rousseff says that she cant back down because her country needs her. The embattled leader has reshuffled her cabinet in a desperate attempt to stay in office.

Currently, there is no one in place to succeed Rousseff, but the last president of Brazil, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, is planning on taking a cabinet position. However, there is currently an investigation that the former president is guilty for corruption and money-laundering. There will not be any eventual trial in criminal court for Rousseff.

For the citizens of Brazil, they say that they want their country back, the arrest of their old president, and the impeachment of Rousseff. Citizens are painting themselves the colors of the Brazilian flag and have something like a headband or a poster that says Dilma out. There are expectations that the riots could get worse if the government is not changed.

Brazil’s economy has tanked since Rousseff stepped into office, shrinking by 3.8% in 2015. Inflation reached 10.7% at the end of 2015, which is a 12-year-high for Brazil. The unemployment rate for Brazil is 9% and is most likely to get higher in the coming months. Brazil has lost a lot of money in the past 5 years and the blame has largely centered around the government.

WHHS student Dante Piccaninni says “I think the government should do what the people want because the current situation for protest is bad enough and shouldn’t get any worse if the government helps its people.”

Other members of the Brazilian Government are saying they would like to see Rousseff step down. Many politicians and citizens are fed up with her and demand she resigns her position. Rouseff is not likely to step down on her own, and is likely to be either forced out of office, or stay in until her term is up.