The Student of The Month

By Kaitlynn Ponceca

The School Safety Team has announced that senior Austin Phillips is the January student of the month.  Austin was selected during the week of February 1 from a pool of nine candidates.

In most of our middle schools, the faculty chooses a student to receive a special award for good citizenship each month. They are then honored with their picture outside the main office, and have their name announced over the loudspeaker. Wayne Hills is following in this tradition with its very own“Student of The Month” award, said Donna King, our Student Assistance Counselor.

“Austin was chosen because of his thoughtful nature and kindness to others, ” said King.  “He’s always willing to help a friend or those in need,” she added.  The process is quite simple, really. Any adult of the faculty in the school can nominate who they want to be Student of the Month. Then, the School Safety Team reviews the nominees and choose who they think is best for the award. And, of course, they announce the winner through The Patriot Press.

When this first started, there were themes, but the staff has since abandoned that. “We’re really just looking for amazing students, now,” said King,  who’s involved with the idea and the process. King resurrected the program late last year here at Hills.

“Students that just go out of their way then above and beyond to do nice things for others are the qualifiers for the nomination, ”