Italy’s New PM Giorgia Meloni: Who Is She?


Photo Taken by Gianni Cipriano for the New York Times

By Leizl Carlo, Staff writer

Marco Cantile | Lightrocket | Getty Images from CNBC

On the 25th of September, the people of Italy cast their vote and the outcome of the election was the country’s first female Prime Minister,  Giorgia Meloni.  Although history is being made, there are mixed reactions and opinions of the widely known right-wing coalition leader; hope and concern for what she will do to resolve issues regarding human rights, immigration, and the economy.

Meloni is the leader of the right-wing coalition, Brothers of Italy (FdI), a group with a history of neo-fascism, according to The Washington Post. She has taken a stance to defend her party, claiming they have turned away from their origins and has her own priorities. According to the BBC, in a speech to Spain’s Vox party she announced her beliefs and priorities.

“Yes to the natural family, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology… no to Islamist violence, yes to secure borders, no to mass migration… no to big international finance… no to the bureaucrats of Brussels!”

Her beliefs and priorities have caused controversy and nations in Europe are concerned about her stance with sanctions against Russia. Meloni knows that Italians have concerns regarding  cost of living and spiraling energy costs because of the country’s reliance on Russia’s gas.

In addition, Meloni is a Eurosceptic, a person opposed to increasing the powers of the European Union, and has “spoke of Italy being downtrodden by the EU’s bigger and more wealthy members,” according to the BBC. Although she doesn’t plan on leaving the EU, there are also concerns about her migration stance and policies.

“Ms. Meloni wants a naval blockade to stop migrant boats leaving Libya,” the BBC said.

Not only that but millions of people didn’t vote for her, although she won 44 percent of the vote, that leaves the other 56 percent of voters that did not vote for her. ” They say they don’t recognize themselves in her nationalist, protectionist proposals, her anti-immigration rhetoric and conservative family mores.”

Despite all of the concerns, she showed promise and won the vote of almost half of the voters in the election.  Her party’s success is not only due to a unified front that the other parties did not possess. She supports Ukraine on the war against Russia and wants to revisit Italian reforms with the EU, “in return for almost €200bn (£178bn) in post-Covid recovery grants and loans, arguing that the energy crisis has changed the situation,” according to the BBC.  Not only that but since she is the first female Prime Minister there is hope that she’ll do better than her male predecessors.

“For the past 10 years, all of the men in the position of Prime Minister have been complete disasters.  I hope she is successful in forming a government,” Ms. Pierri, an Italian citizen, voter, and teacher here at Hills, said.

In contrast to the Washington Post’s stance on Meloni’s “lack of experience” being one of her greater challenges, Ms. Pierri provides insight on the situation.

“She’s been in politics for over 20 years…Her challenge is the same as her predecessors; forming a government,” she says and confirms a few of the previously mentioned issues, “Her concerns are the economy and immigration. Italy is preparing for one of the largest energy hikes; 60 % per household, plus inflation. On top of that, there is an immigration crisis.”

Overall, she hopes for the best for Italy and has words that should apply everywhere: “No matter which party you vote for and support, you never want your leader to fail.”