6 Dead, 12 Wounded in Sacramento Shooting

Law Enforcement at the Scene

CNN

Law Enforcement at the Scene

By Gianna Bernier, Staff Writer

In the early morning hours of Sunday, April 3, six people were reported dead, with 12 others injured, in a mass shooting in Sacramento, California. 

Dandrae Martin, 26, was charged with assault and illegal firearm possession charges. As a continuation of their investigation, police have obtained search warrants at three residences. One of these addresses had uncovered a hidden handgun. 

This tragic shooting had occurred in a crowded downtown area, in which investigators believe that the ruckus was a result of multiple shooters opening fire following a large fight. 

Identified as preliminary to conviction, investigators had analyzed the crime scene, determining that at least three buildings and three vehicles were struck by the gunfire of the event. Over 100 shell casings had been discovered. 

With the aid of video and photo files, investigators will be competent to review and adjudicate the perpetrator’s future. 

According to the sheriff’s office’s online records, Martin was imprisoned in Sacramento County on two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon. He was also jailed with a felony count of being a convicted person carrying a loaded firearm. 

This tragic story has, yet again, reignited the issue that America has been facing for years: gun violence.

“There should be gun control to ensure that innocent people, especially students, do not get hurt,” said Ariana Aray, a sophomore at Wayne Hills High School.

This instance in which firearms were abused is one of many, and in order to prevent what just happened to DeVazia Turner, a devoted father of four whose absence will never go unnoticed, from repeating itself, gun laws must be made stringent.