Class Preview: Why You Should Take Journalism

Journalism Class 2022

By Emily Kozak, Staff Writer

What elective should you take?

You should take Journalism!

Journalism Class

Journalism is a really fun elective with less stress than other classes. You write articles almost every week, learn about journalistic crises, and you can really improve your writing! It can also help you with public speaking and getting to know new people. Most of the time you will have to either interview people or ask for their opinions on the topic you are writing about. If you are shy or have social anxiety this elective can help you break through that shell!

Another great thing is that you usually have a lot of class time to write, finish and polish your articles. The teacher, Mrs. Schillaci is also really understanding and laid back which makes the atmosphere even better. This still means you have to submit your work on time and be respectful of course.

“I’m in Patriot Press this year and I’m thinking about doing Journalism as a Senior. It’s really a fun club, so anyone who loves to write should join,” says Sophomore Janae Murray.

I recommend taking journalism with a friend since it’ll make the class even more fun, but you can also do the elective by yourself and make new friends!

“I enjoy taking Journalism because I feel like I’ve been able to improve my writing skills, and I enjoy learning in this class. I think media literacy is an important skill for everyone to have, which is why this class is pretty important,” says Journalism student Jieun Paik.