Prince Andrews Goes to Court Over Abuse Charges Related to Jeffrey Epstein

Courtesy of The Independent news

Courtesy of ‘The Independent’ news

By Emily Kozak, Staff Writer

One of Jeffrey Epstein’s most public accusers, Virginia Roberts Giuffre,  has filed a lawsuit against Prince Andrew, who she claimed sexually abused her while she was being trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein. Giuffre filed the lawsuit in August of 2021 and it has been ongoing ever since. Giuffre was given $500,000 by Jeffrey Epstein in 2009 in an agreement to not testify against any defendants. The agreement is now made public as a part of her lawsuit against Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II.

In Giuffre’s suit, she states that Andrew had sexually abused her while knowing she was underaged(17).  Giuffre also states that the British Prince had abused her on an island Epstein owned which was located in the U.S. Virgin Islands and in London.

Prince Andrew has denied these allegations. Prince Andrews’s lawyers attended a hearing on January 4, 2022, in order to persuade the court that her suit should be dismissed.  During the heated hearing, the Prince was told that the case would not be dismissed and that the Duke must either settle, default, or go to court. Prince Andrews’s lawyers stated that the agreement signed between Epstein and Ms. Giuffre in 2009, protects the prince. They also agreed that  Giuffre was not specific in her allegations towards the prince. However, the leading judge, Lewis A. Kaplan, did not rule on any motions as of now.

“I feel that the judge was right in not taking Prince Andrew’s side. He should be held accountable for his actions,” said sophomore Janae Murray.

This scandal has been troublesome for the royal family which has for the most part try to keep Prince Andrew out of the public eye after his interview with BBC in November 2019. In the interview, he attempted to denounce his relationship with Epstein. During the interview, he also claimed he had no memory of meeting Ms. Giuffre.

“Considering what Prince Andrews did, I think this disgusting and cruel, the fact that so many people can be involved in a huge crime like this is astounding,” said sophomore Katherine Colucci.

Queen Elizabeth has also not yet stripped the Prince of the honorary military titles he holds. Some of these honorary titles had been inherited from his father, Prince Philips, in death. Many veterans object to him holding such titles because, “it puts a strain on the regiment’s proud history and will devalue the hard work of past and future generations of Grenadiers,” as said by Julian Perreira, a former Grenadier Guards sergeant.