Seniors Giving Insight On Their High School Experience

Senior Year

The year that students look forward to the most.

By Leah Caruso, Staff Writer

Senior year is the year every student looks forward to since they take their first steps at high school. For the last two years, this class of seniors have been trying to adjust to school with the Coronavirus being around. It hasn’t been the easiest to say the least, but the seniors are trying to make this year better than the last two, and make up for lost time. 

With the Coronavirus taking over the world during the seniors sophomore year, the seniors missed out on a lot of fun and exciting activities. Spring sports, seeing their friends, the spring musical, and club activities are just to name a few. Being in school for part time during their junior year didn’t make things better. The students still were learning virtual for the most part and were missing out on the fun times of their high school years. Not being able to talk to friends while passing in the halls, not being able to fully understand what your teacher is teaching, and having to wear a mask and social distance was definitely a struggle.

“It was hard not being able to see my friends and not be in school with them. Getting to go to school everyday and talk to friends in the halls makes the day 10x better. It was hard to really learn being virtual, trying to understand the topics was difficult not being there in person. Now, it’s great being back in school and getting to see my friends and socialize again,” senior Christin DeFranco commented on how she felt about virtual learning last year. During the seniors junior year, they didn’t get the chance to partake in the annual spirit rally, or even attend any of the sporting events to cheer on their classmates. A lot was taken away from this class and it seemed to be a never ending school year in their eyes. 

Making sure they got the most memorable senior year was at the top of their list this year. Getting the chance to attend all the sporting events, play in all their games, see and talk to their friends in the halls, learn in person, go out for lunch together, and hopefully have an amazing prom is not just what they want, but what they deserve. “Prom should be fun this year. Getting the chance to celebrate with everyone, one last time, will be exciting but sad at the same time,” said Lexi Donohue, senior, on what she is looking forward to most this year. 

Even though this year hasn’t been easy, seniors are still trying to make the most of it.

The best part of senior year so far had to be the football games. It’s different when you are a senior because you now it’s the last time you will be in the stands and you just don’t want it to end. The games are so much fun, everyone gets into it and when we win that makes it even better,” Christin DeFranco, responded when asked what her favorite part of senior year was so far. This year, students were able to be in the student section and cheer on their players. This news was fantastic for seniors since last year there was no student section. Attending the football games is something many people here at Hills do and enjoy. 

As much as high school may seem like a never ending thing, June will be here faster than we know it. Leaving your friends and family to go off to college can be hard, but looking back on the wonderful memories make things a little easier. “I am going to miss the friendships that I’ve made most. I’ve had the chance to meet so many amazing people, and because of them I have so many amazing memories to look back on. I’m also going to miss all the football games and cheering on the boys. Being in the student section is something else, I couldn’t imagine spending my Friday nights anywhere else,” Christin DeFranco, said about what she is going to miss about Wayne Hills. 

High school is a time to try new things, meet new people, and take a chance. Wayne Hills has so many opportunities to go and do those things. From the many clubs they offer here, to the countless sport teams, there’s a place for everyone to feel like they belong.

“Underclassmen, get involved! There are so many things to do here at Hills and you never know who you will meet or what you will like. If you are passionate about something, I am positive there a club for it. You will meet so many amazing people whether its from a sports team or participating in the drama club. Don’t just sit around and do nothing, go out and try something!” Lexi Donohue, senior, said, giving some advise to her fellow underclassmen.

I hope every senior has the best year yet and makes every second count, you don’t know what the future holds. Make this rest of this year the best year yet!

Lexi Donohue giving a thumbs up
Senior Lexi Donohue giving a thumbs up