Leo Club Raises Over $1,000 for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

By Jieun Paik, Staff Writer

The Wayne Hills Leo Club raised over $1,000 as part of the Juvenile Diabetes Research (JDRF) team Miracle for Matthew.

Leo club, one of the largest clubs in Wayne Hills, is dedicated to giving back to the community. Whether that may be through community service, donations, or fundraising, the club’s foundations (Leadership, Experience, and Opportunity) are showcased through each project they take.

Students attended the JDRF walk on October 16 alongside Matthew, who spoke about his life with Type 1 Diabetes. Later they planted over 200 bulbs for Laurelwood Arboretum.

“It was great to see everyone come out and support Matthew, a young boy who has been struggling with diabetes his whole life. I look forward to leading more initiatives to help others in our local community,” said Eunho Jung, a senior and president of the Leo Club.

Leo members enjoyed spending time helping the community, as well as donating money to help others on a larger scale. Leos that could not attend the walk donated money to the JDRF foundation.

The total money raised was over 1,000 dollars.

“The money raised means that it will help make big differences for people who have diabetes. I’m proud to have been part of the difference,” said Noor Rana, a sophomore and member of the Leo Club.

The money raised will go towards research to find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes.

“As the advisor to the Wayne Hills Leo Club, I am honored to teach our members each year about the difficulties of living with Type 1 diabetes, and how every donation made goes towards research for a cure. It’s important for teenagers to know that they can help make the world a better place, in this case by raising funds for a worthwhile cause and by showing up at 9 AM on a Saturday to walk with a young boy living with juvenile diabetes, letting him know that he’s not alone,” said Mrs. Fishman.

The Leo Club plans to meet again on November 13 at Camp Marcella. Camp Marcella is a residential summer camp designed specifically for children and teens with blindness, visual impairments, and special needs. Attending Leos will be volunteering to help maintain campgrounds.

Even though the Leo club has just met a handful of times this year, they have already begun to do amazing things. “I honestly was overwhelmed to see such an enthusiastic response, and know that this year’s group of Leos will continue to do wonderful things,” said Mrs. Fishman.

There are high expectations for the Leo Club, and it seems so far that they have exceeded these expectations. Hopefully, Wayne Hills can continue to see such enthusiasm throughout the school year!