“The Politician” is Being Trashed

The Politician is Being Trashed

By Milana Shindelman, Staff Writer

Critics are trashing Ryan Murphy’s first Netflix TV series, “The Politician.”

After its debut on Netflix in late September, the show has received a 59% Rotten Tomatoes critic score. It is Murphy’s worst-reviewed show since “The New Normal” in 2012, which received a 55% critic score before being canceled shortly after one season. 

“The Politician” is about a wealthy high schooler named Payton Hobart (played by Ben Platt) who is running for student body president against a popular student named River Barkley (played by David Corenswet). Payton Hobart is determined to become the President of the United States one day.

Ryan Murphy is known for his hit shows like FX’s “Pose” and “American Horror Story,” as well as Fox’s “Glee” that got a five-year deal with Netflix last year worth up to $300 million. 

“At first, I thought that ‘The Politician’ would be good and a TV Series that I can recommend to my friends but after watching every episode of ‘The Politician,’ I was upset because it is terrible and unrealistic to how high school really is,” said junior Heather Sarney. 

“I was only able to watch half of the first season because it was boring and the characters did not seem human at all,” said junior Cassidy Tielve. 

Ben Travers, the Los Angeles-based TV Critic at IndieWire, said that the TV series is not supposed to be interested in politics, but should instead be about the broken system of government. Other TV critics like Alan Sepinwall said that the show was “mean, nonsensical, and utterly hollow.”

While “The Politician” received poor reviews from critics, Murphy’s most recent TV series, “Pose,” was nominated for six Emmy awards, and Billy Porter won the trophy for Best Actor in a Drama Series.