Earthquake in Indonesia Kills 800

Back to Article
Back to Article

Earthquake in Indonesia Kills 800

An aerial view shows bridge damaged by an earthquake and tsunami in Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia September 29, 2018. Antara Foto/Muhammad Adimaja via REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

By Bettina Rosario, Staff Writer

By Bettina Rosario

A powerful earthquake followed by a tsunami hit several large coastal towns on Sunday (September 30) killing more than 800 with the death toll likely to rise. 

The area hit by the earthquake/tsunami  is cut off by damaged roads and low electricity lines, military and commercial aircraft were seen delivering some aid and supplies to the city of Palu on the island of Sulawesi, and others in the region that were hit with the massive natural destruction.

Heavy equipment was needed to reach e survivors buried in collapsed buildings and an eight-story hotel where voices were heard in the rubble. In fact, A 25-year-old woman was found alive in the ruins of the Roa-Roa Hotel. Rescuers have estimated that another 50 may be trapped inside.

“Well, there was a devastating earthquake and tsunami that basically said ‘YEET’ to the whole coastline.” Matt Cassady, a senior, said of the tragedy.  Cassady said if this ever happened on a local level, he “would obviously have to check on [his] family or nearby friends and get any of them or anyone in general to a safer place, or shelter. I would immediately begin scavenging anything valuable or resources.”

Matt Bloomberg, a former WHHS student, said that the United States should take a lesson from these worldwide disasters.  “We can learn more about the human experience through learning about the hardships with those involved are going through. We can derive new data and understanding of natural disasters through examination of the storm’s impact on the land and natural environment. We can also understand the impact these disasters have economically; as the supply of goods and services will undoubtedly be affected,” he said.

Jamie Tulpan, a junior of Wayne Hills, echoed Bloomberg sentiments while expressing her sorrow for the victims.  Just be cautious, don’t listen to the weather, they lie sometimes.”

About 832 people were confirmed dead by both the quake and tsunami damages combined. Indonesia’s disaster agency confirmed that nearly all of those are from Palu.

Bodies covered the streets of Palu, and officials said they were digging a massive grave for at least 300 of the dead found. It’s not known when the burial will take place.

Rescuers worked to free a 15-year-old girl, known as Nurul Istikharah. She was trapped under the concrete in her house in Palu, next to her dead mother and niece. They feared she may drown as pipes burst open after it collapsed on her family during the 7.5 earthquake.

It’s the latest natural disaster in Indonesia, (Indonesia usually being struck by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis because of its location on the “Ring of Fire.”)

Bettina Rosario, Staff Writer

Bettina Rosario is a senior at Wayne Hills and has recently joined the Patriot Press. She participates in sports such as Fencing and Spring Track, where...