Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018

Patrick Gilmore is one of the many star athletes that the Patriots have during the Spring.

Doug Scancarella

By Jonah Carleton, Ethan Yuppa, and Aaron Hook

Volleyball:  The Wayne Hills Volleyball team has seen a season of up and downs this year, as their record stands at a respectable 7-6 as of 5/1. They will look to take down a tough Fair Lawn team on Friday, April 27th. The team has been led this season by senior Liam Fieggen, as well as juniors Jacob Park, Luka Buncic and Chris Marschall. The team plays Wayne Valley on Monday, April 30th. Sophomore John Conturso said, “Volleyball is very fun, and we usually dominate any competition we get. Some games are tough, but we fight and have fun “.

Track:  The Wayne Hills Track team has been working hard this season under Coach Staggers and Rosseau. Michael Lehman, a thrower on the team, said, “Track and Field is probably the most fun thing I have ever done, everyone is close like a family.” On Thursday, May 3rd the boys and girls JV and Varsity teams will compete in the Big North Championship Meet. The team is being led by multiple returning seniors and other upperclassmen, as well as many underclassmen making big contributions to the team. Good look to the team in the Big North Championships!

Baseball:  The Baseball team has been enjoying a nice start to the season so far, standing at 9-5 and 6-3 in league play. They were scorching hot at the very beginning of the season, as they were 7-3 through their first ten games. The team is led by Seniors Patrick Gilmore, Jason Modak, and Mike Zaccone, as well as junior Louis D’Agati. The team’s lone underclassman is sophomore Christian Puntolillo, who pitches most games.  The team will take on David Brearley High School on Tuesday, 5/1.

Golf: The Wayne Hills Golf team has been having a nice season for themselves. They stand at 5-1 heading into May. They are have been practicing non-stop, and the results are showing this year.  They are practicing very intensely intensively and performing very well in tournaments. Seniors Jimmy Peracchio and Robbie Tighe are leading the pack, also with some players with extreme quality.

Lacrosse: The Wayne Hills Lacrosse team is coming off a 17-0 win against West Milford on Monday, 5/1. The boys have an overall record of 13-1, and a record of 7-0 in league matches. The win at West Milford was a Passaic County Tournament Game, so the Patriots will be moving on to the next round. Sophomore Ethan Hirsh had 3 goals, Craig Wilke also had 3 goals and 6 points, and Ryan Dianuzzo also had 6 points.

Tennis: The Wayne Hills Boys Tennis team has been superior among the rest of the teams they have been facing. The Patriots won 14 straight county titles, which is nothing less than dominant over this stretch of time. Underclassmen Kaushik Tallam and Jeffrey Angelo are huge parts of the team, as they both defeated opponents by a landslide this past week. Other upperclassmen like Sam Reyzelman, have done very well, recently topping Pompton Lakes and Billy Calabrese, 6-1, and 6-2 . The team is looking to have a great rest of the season, with all of the amazing talent they possess.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018”

1. Yasmine E. on May 9th, 2018 7:34 PM

I hope you haven’t forgotten bu Softball is also a spring sport and I hope to see an article written about our team soon as we have also worked very hard this season as we do in every season and deserve some recognition. Thank you.

[Reply]

Annie Chen Reply:

Hi! If you are interested in writing an article about softball for the Patriot Press, please contact [email protected].

[Reply]

• Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018

School Sports

Wayne Hills Boys Lacrosse Beats Wayne Valley 8-2, Ending Their Undeafeated Streak

School Sports

Wayne Lacrosse Day

School Sports

Wayne Hills Boys Lacrosse Winning Streak

School News

Boys Tennis Serves Their Way Into Temporary Victory

School Sports

Boys Lacrosse Team Looks to Win Third County Title

School Sports

Boys Basketball Wins First County Title

News

Maroon Team Takes Overall Show Award

School Sports

Wayne Hills Basketball Takes an Unfortunate Loss Against Wayne Valley

School News

Boys Basketball Mid-Season Review

School Sports

Swim Team Goes to Counties; Cassandra Lee Named Female Athlete of the Week