Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018

Patrick Gilmore is one of the many star athletes that the Patriots have during the Spring.

Doug Scancarella

By Jonah Carleton, Ethan Yuppa, and Aaron Hook

Volleyball:  The Wayne Hills Volleyball team has seen a season of up and downs this year, as their record stands at a respectable 7-6 as of 5/1. They will look to take down a tough Fair Lawn team on Friday, April 27th. The team has been led this season by senior Liam Fieggen, as well as juniors Jacob Park, Luka Buncic and Chris Marschall. The team plays Wayne Valley on Monday, April 30th. Sophomore John Conturso said, “Volleyball is very fun, and we usually dominate any competition we get. Some games are tough, but we fight and have fun “.

Track:  The Wayne Hills Track team has been working hard this season under Coach Staggers and Rosseau. Michael Lehman, a thrower on the team, said, “Track and Field is probably the most fun thing I have ever done, everyone is close like a family.” On Thursday, May 3rd the boys and girls JV and Varsity teams will compete in the Big North Championship Meet. The team is being led by multiple returning seniors and other upperclassmen, as well as many underclassmen making big contributions to the team. Good look to the team in the Big North Championships!

Baseball:  The Baseball team has been enjoying a nice start to the season so far, standing at 9-5 and 6-3 in league play. They were scorching hot at the very beginning of the season, as they were 7-3 through their first ten games. The team is led by Seniors Patrick Gilmore, Jason Modak, and Mike Zaccone, as well as junior Louis D’Agati. The team’s lone underclassman is sophomore Christian Puntolillo, who pitches most games.  The team will take on David Brearley High School on Tuesday, 5/1.

Golf: The Wayne Hills Golf team has been having a nice season for themselves. They stand at 5-1 heading into May. They are have been practicing non-stop, and the results are showing this year.  They are practicing very intensely intensively and performing very well in tournaments. Seniors Jimmy Peracchio and Robbie Tighe are leading the pack, also with some players with extreme quality.

Lacrosse: The Wayne Hills Lacrosse team is coming off a 17-0 win against West Milford on Monday, 5/1. The boys have an overall record of 13-1, and a record of 7-0 in league matches. The win at West Milford was a Passaic County Tournament Game, so the Patriots will be moving on to the next round. Sophomore Ethan Hirsh had 3 goals, Craig Wilke also had 3 goals and 6 points, and Ryan Dianuzzo also had 6 points.

Tennis: The Wayne Hills Boys Tennis team has been superior among the rest of the teams they have been facing. The Patriots won 14 straight county titles, which is nothing less than dominant over this stretch of time. Underclassmen Kaushik Tallam and Jeffrey Angelo are huge parts of the team, as they both defeated opponents by a landslide this past week. Other upperclassmen like Sam Reyzelman, have done very well, recently topping Pompton Lakes and Billy Calabrese, 6-1, and 6-2 . The team is looking to have a great rest of the season, with all of the amazing talent they possess.

About the Writers
Jonah Carleton, Staff Writer

Jonah Carleton is a sophomore at Wayne Hills High School. He joined Patriot Press in September of 2017. He usually writes about national sports and school...

Ethan Yuppa, Staff Writer

Ethan Yuppa - Ethan Yuppa is a sophomore at Wayne Hills.  He joined the Patriot Press of September of 2017.  He likes to write about football and basketball...

Aaron Hook, Staff Writer

Aaron Hook is a sophomore at Wayne Hills. He joined Patriot Press in September of 2017 and writes about school sports as well as national sports. He enjoys...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018”

1. Yasmine E. on May 9th, 2018 7:34 PM

I hope you haven’t forgotten bu Softball is also a spring sport and I hope to see an article written about our team soon as we have also worked very hard this season as we do in every season and deserve some recognition. Thank you.

2. Annie Chen on May 11th, 2018 1:47 PM

Hi! If you are interested in writing an article about softball for the Patriot Press, please contact [email protected].

• Patriot Press Overview: Spring Sports 2018

News

Wayne Hills Boys Basketball Team Captures Jack Stone Shootout Title

Local News

Championship Victory For Wayne Hills at Metlife Stadium

School Sports

Preview of the Boys and Girl’s Swim Team Season

School Sports

Wayne Hills Captures The North Group 4 Championship

School Sports

Wayne Hills Boys Basketball Preview

Humans of Wayne Hills

Wayne Hills Seniors Commit to Colleges

School Sports

Fencers Have High Hopes for This Season

School Sports

The Winter Track Season Starts Today

School Sports

Wayne Knights Senior Preview

School Sports

WHHS Football Into the Sectional Final