Boys Tennis Serves Their Way Into Temporary Victory

The+Boys+tennis+team+went+undefeated+during+the+regular+season+with+a+19-0+record.++Coach+Bruce+Keogh+speaks+to+his+team+members.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Boys tennis team went undefeated during the regular season with a 19-0 record.  Coach Bruce Keogh speaks to his team members.

The Boys tennis team went undefeated during the regular season with a 19-0 record. Coach Bruce Keogh speaks to his team members.

Jennifer Cuciti

Jennifer Cuciti

Jennifer Cuciti

By Eunice G. Park and Gabe Geytsman

The boy’s tennis season here at Hills is in full swing, with varsity looking strong and junior varsity (JV) appearing more competitive than ever recorded.

Representing Hills at first singles is Jeff Angelo; second singles is senior Samuel Reyzelman, and at third singles is sophomore Kaushik Tallam. Representing first doubles are Jason Reiser and Mark Noschese, second doubles Michael Ferreira and Josh Blecherman, and third doubles as Shawn Joo and Gabe Geytsman with Ronil Naik also contributing to the team.

The team got annihilated in a scrimmage against Don Bosco (excluding Kaushik Tallam, who managed to be the last man standing) but redeemed themselves with a good start in the regular season, with the matches against West Milford, Wayne Valley, and Lakeland being straight up demolition jobs. However, their hot streak was broken by Pascack Valley, whose players saw out a series of narrow singles wins and handy doubles victories. But the team is optimistic that it can go far and will only get better with future matches.

Varsity coach, Bruce Keogh, voices his and the team’s aspirations.

“Although we lost a number of key players [from last year’s senior pool], the goals remain the same. My team and I are looking forward to playing our best tennis in the county tournament, which is exactly one week from today,” he explains in extremely intricate detail. “But more than anything, we would like to see every player simply enjoy the experience and make memories from being a part of this program that will last them a lifetime.”

Coach Todd Green expresses that he is proud of his JV team regardless of their win/loss ratio.

“We have a great group of kids and are excited to compete at a high level this season,” Coach Green beams. “They show a lot of promise.”

Both coaches are extremely proud of their entire team and commend specific players in further depth.

“Having Gabe Geytsman and Ronil Naik on the team for the past 4 years is really something special,” Coach Keogh says. “Their presence [serves as a testament] to other students that such commitment and participation does not go unnoticed; they have grown so much athletically, and coaches really [acknowledge] their commitment regardless of their positions.”

The boys, lifted up by their kind coaches, are nothing but positively anticipatory at the idea of playing their favorite sport for their school this season.

Continue serving your way to swift victories, boys!

Eunice G. Park, Staff Writer

Eunice G. Park is a senior writer and has a passion for writing and for sharing news with the general public. Park has many interests, including exercising,...

Gabe Geytsman, Assistant Senior Editor

This senior somehow ended up being Assistant Senior Editor. Gabe formerly held the post of Political Analyst in his junior and sophomore years. He enjoys...