New Beginnings: Scott Illiano Named New WH Baseball Coach

Scott Illiano held an Interest Meeting for all baseball players interested in trying out for the 2018 season. Illiano is the new Head Coach for the Wayne Hills Varsity Baseball Team.

By Louis D'Agati, Junior Sports Editor

On Wednesday December 6th, a group of roughly 60 prospective baseball players joined together for an “Interest Meeting” at the school. At the head of the meeting was newly announced head coach Scott Illiano, a former coach at West Essex High School and Caldwell High School. He will be succeeding Joe Maus, coach of the 11-13 Patriots last year.

Illiano is an educator at West Essex High School. He spent two years as an assistant there in 1994 and 1995, then became head coach for 20 seasons, with an astonishing record of 316-183-1. After a year as an assistant once again at Delbarton in 2016, he was Caldwell’s head coach last spring, leading the Chiefs to another strong 19-8 record and an SEC Liberty Division Championship. Illiano is also the author of the compelling book, “Our Time, a High School Baseball Coach’s Journey”. Scott Illiano has quite the résumé, and his impressive records aren’t even his best accomplishment. His ability to connect with the players on many different levels, and teach valuable life lessons are what he believes to be his greatest feature. His strong belief in team bonding, family, teamwork, leadership, and accountability are what make every team he has conducted successful.  

With a strong and developed coaching background, Illiano is ready to take on his new feat at a powerful athletic school such as Wayne Hills. At the Interest Meeting last Wednesday, he preached his coaching style, what type of players succeed in his tightly- knit program, and his overflowing excitement for the upcoming season. He isn’t the only excited one though, as many of the players are thrilled to have such a respectable and distinguished coach at the helm this upcoming spring. Senior first baseman and pitcher Patrick Gilmore is “extremely excited to have an opportunity to play for such an experienced and knowledgeable coach. I have never played for an author before”. This is just one of many positive remarks regarding Illiano’s opening speech and verbal presentation at the Winter Interest Meeting.

Scott Illiano has a magnificent background as a head coach, and when the calendar strikes March 2nd, his new journey begins. With 7 of the 9 players in the starting lineup returning from last season, there surely will be a abundance of talent for Illiano to work with. With a new coach, no positions are set, and there will be fierce competition come that first friday in March, when the hunt for a County, Sectional, and State championship begins.