Project Veritas Tries to Give False Info to Washington Post to Discredit Them

By Gabe Geytsman, Asst. Senior Editor and Political Analyst

Project Veritas, an organization that proclaims its desire to expose corruption in the media and elsewhere, attempted to discredit the Washington Post by having a member (agent?) approach the Post and disseminate false accusations against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore of Alabama. Moore has been embroiled in a series of scandals recently, with several women alleging misconduct of a sexual nature against them when they were young.

The Project Veritas-affilitaed woman, Jaime T. Phillips, claimed in a series of interviews that she had a sexual relationship with the former judge when she was 15, that he impregnated her, and that he drove her to have an abortion.

“During the interviews,” the paper said in a story posted last night, “she repeatedly pressed Post reporters to give their opinions on the effects that her claims could have on Moore’s candidacy if she went public.” Project Veritas attempts to record its “targets” saying statements that would be politically compromising, with the people filmed saying that they were taken out of context. During the 2016 election, Project Veritas allegedly exposed Democratic political operatives using illegal campaign tactics and other, politically unsavory misdeeds. This has led many to label them as biased in favor of Republicans, seeing as in this instance as well they tried to discredit the sexual assault allegations against Roy Moore.

“I think it’s unfair that Project Veritas is only exposing Democrats and never going after Republicans. I think it’s not bad overall if they’re exposing corruption but there should be [an organization] to go after Republicans as well,” says senior Laura Necsoi.

On the other hand, senior Luca Guerini says: “I think Project Veritas is doing this for a good cause… the means justify the ends, and I think there is corruption to be exposed in the media.”

About the Writer
Gabe Geytsman, Assistant Senior Editor

This senior somehow ended up being Assistant Senior Editor. Gabe formerly held the post of Political Analyst in his junior and sophomore years. He enjoys...