Legal Studies Field Trip

By Sam Gallo

For many students, hearing that they will be visiting prison might seem scary or unusual, but not for Dr. Beth O’Leary legal studies students.  Dr. Beth O’Leary took her Legal Studies students, as well as her period 9 US History II class to the Passaic County jail and courthouse on May 5th. As a result of studying the United States government and legal system, the students were offered this field trip as a chance to broaden their understanding and already existing interest of law.

At the jail, the students were able to experience a “reality check” program, which allowed the students to get a first hand look at what life in jail is truly like. Escorted by trained officers, the student walked through the cells and the kitchen to see what life is like inside jail. The students were then led to the Chapel, where they witnessed four different prisoners voluntarily talk about their experiences that led to their arrest. After walking down the street to the courthouse, the students were able to observe a civil rights case and had the opportunity to ask the judge questions about the case as well as the legal system as a whole.

Legal studies student and junior at WHHS, Will Nguyen, explains the experience. “My favorite part of the trip was listening to the prisoners stories and advice that they had for us,” Nguyen says. “It showed me that Wayne teenagers can easily fall down the same deadly road of events that they did. It was an eye opening and unforgettable experience.”

Overall, the experience was interesting and educational. As a result of TV shows such as “Orange is the New Black,” teenagers often have a distorted, glorified perception of what jail is truly like. This trip revealed the reality of the life of a criminal and the consequences of poor decisions. Being able to witness this as well as a live civil rights case proved the trip to be informational and successful for everyone.