Chemistry Club

Chemistry Club

By Dan Kang, Staff Writer

The chemistry club is a new club founded by freshman Shivi Chauhan and chemistry teacher Ms. Bayliss, the club’s adviser. The club recently went on a field trip to William Paterson University where Shivi’s father, Dr. Bhanu P.S. Chauhan, a professor of chemistry and chairperson, gave a seminar on chemistry. He specializes in nanomaterials and nanotechnology and can be reached at [email protected] for any questions regarding chemistry or his career. Club members also had the chance to meet other professors of chemistry and had a fun time learning about science. Approximately 12 people are in the club and it is not too late to join if you are interested. The typical meeting involves watching videos about chemistry and preparing for other upcoming field trips.

“I joined [the chemistry club] because I was in AP Chemistry and wanted to see if I could get more of chemistry. I’m uncertain if I want to pursue a career in chemistry but I definitely want to do something with science or computers. I am satisfied with the club right now. Like anything else, it needs improvement but we are good as it is. The people are great and we have a good leader. It would be even better if more people would join but it is our first year” says sophomore club member Carlos Ayalo-Bellido.

Currently, the chemistry club is not permitted by the school administration to conduct any large-scale chemical experiments after school due to safety issues. Nonetheless, they hope to have a fun time.