From All Angles; Dr. O’Leary’s Student ran TV show

By Sam Gallo

With no scripts and no takes, Dr. Beth O’Leary’s period 9 US History 2 E classes and the TV production students are making their own debate show. According to WHHS history teacher and From All Angles adviser O’Leary, explains that the show is a “student conceived, student designed, student produced oral presentation of America’s current issues debated with historical context while taped by TV Production students in real time”. The shows goal is to fulfill the need for a spotlight, focus or dialogue on certain issues that are then debated after thorough research.

For the 2015/16 school year, the show will be ran by appointed Student Executive Producer and junior at WHHS, Dana Eljouzi. Each show focuses on a different topic.  The three topics voted upon this year are ;Social Media; For Better or Worse, the Right to Bear Arms and Police Brutality, and the top secret fourth topic to make a total of four thirty minute shows.  In addition to discussion and debate on the topics, junior Joseph Gurriell runs the segment Kids in the Hall where he will be interviewing WHHS students, alumni, parents or faculty that he meets in the halls. The unpredictability of the show is what makes it as exciting as it is.  “That is where the magic happens” says O’Leary. “There is no predicting what a student might say. Students energy and interest in producing an engaging real time debate is infectious.

In December of 2009, O’Leary’s period 9 US History class was engaged in thematic learning that involved daily debates that often divided the class. When one of the students suggested the idea of a filmed show that involved James Hoogstrate’s TV production students, O’Leary and Hoogstrate gave the show a try, and it was a hit. The first show appeared on MSG Varsity for its original and thought-provoking shows. The students hope to follow the success of the previous shows and to have fun doing so. WHHS students should be on the look out for the programs on the WHHS-TV.