Superbowl 51 Ads Become Big Hits

By Natalia Aliotta, Staff Writer

Did you know Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest day of food consumption in America, besides Thanksgiving? Unlike other regular Sunday football games, people stay on their couches to watch the million-dollar ads big branded companies make.

This year was the first Super bowl to go into overtime. It also has been known for its spectacular commercials that haven’t been so popular in the past few years. Even though the sole purpose of these commercials is to sell products, many of them had themes of moral justice, equality, comedy, diversity, love, etc, that made viewers emotional.

An example is the Audi commercial, where a little girl races in makeshift go-karts against only boys. The purpose of the commercial is to make a point that women should have equal pay. It’s narrated by the father, saying “Do I tell her that despite her education, her drive, her skills her intelligence, she will be automatically valued as less than every man she meets?”. In the end, the little girl prevails and wins the big race, ending the commercial by getting into an Audi.  After interviewing students at WHHS, this ad was favored over many others. “This commercial makes me happy. I love seeing a girl follow what she loves without labeled and not stereotyped. Even though this was made by a car company, it has such a deep message,” said Alexandra Wisely, sophomore.  

Another popular commercial is from the company Airbnb. Airbnb is an online business that offers different hotels and places to book for vacations or allowing them to stay in short or long term residential houses. The ad promotes diversity through the many different faces of Americans. They use the hashtag #WeAccept. Along with this, other voices say “we believe, we all belong, we accept.”  “This was so beautiful. The message was so empowering, especially for a thirty-second long ad that was in the Superbowl,” said Angelica Papadatos, sophomore. According to the WHHS Patriot Press website, 13% percent of the voters voted for this specific ad; the vote was out of 40 students.

Other favorites in the poll were the Buick commercial featuring Cam Newton and the Bai commercial featuring Justin Timberlake and Christopher Walken.

Many of these commercials have given Americans the inspiration to help others. For example, Airbnb has offered 10,000 short-term homes to people in need. This year, the Superbowl Ads had a message about loving each other, no matter the diversity.