Alum Patriot Football Player: Onto Bigger Things

By Tessa Peloso, Staff Writer

Hearing the words “College Football” is exciting to any high school guy as it entails long Saturdays, enjoying the game and hanging out with friends. Three former Patriots are now experiencing college football in full force, they are playing the game. These include Joey Kenny, Frank Petracco, and Matt Sportelli. 

Joey Kenny, 6’2 and 245 pound tight end and linebacker, led the Patriots last season to a record of 9 and 3 is doing well for himself at the University of Rhode Island. Kenny received a full scholarship to play for the Rams and was excited to be playing alongside 2015 Hills graduate Justin Hogan. High school football is much different than college football. “It is a big transition because everyone is as good as you or even better than you in college. It’s a great deal of competition.” Kenny stated.

Frank Petracco is loving his college football experience playing for the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays. The Blue Jays are 4 and 0 this season, starting off on the right foot. Petracco, 6’2 315 pound offensive lineman, has set a goal in mind for the season ahead. “My goal is to help the team win the Centennial Conference for the next four years, which would make it 11 consecutive championships for Johns Hopkins” said Petracco. 

Matt Sportelli, a key component to the Wayne Hills team last year, is ready to compete at a level that gets him onto the field in an effort to become successful in his college football career at Rutgers University. Sportelli, 6’1 and 245 pound long snapper, was more than excited to start his football journey. The Patriots have been known for having a great program that prepares their players to play for the next level. “I felt very well prepared for college football because of the high intensity and punctuality of the Wayne Hills football Program.”