A Recap of Annual NFL Thanksgiving Games

Raiders QB Derek Carr during his game on Thanksgiving

By David Valdes, Staff Writer

On Thursday, November 25, the NFL held its annual Thanksgiving games. The three matches consisted of Bears vs Lions, Cowboys vs Raiders, and Bills vs Saints.

The Chicago Bears and the Detroit Lions arguably have one of the greatest NFL rivalries of all time. It dates back all the way to October 22nd, 1930, when they played their first game against each other. The all-time record against each other is 104-75-5 with the Bears coming out on top.

This game was a slow one for both teams. The final score ended up with the Bears winning 16-13. The Bears offense was led by veteran quarterback Andy Dalton, who has had a decently successful career in the past. The Lions quarterback, Jared Goff, is a young QB who was drafted No. 1 overall in the 2016 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams. Goff has been struggling lately though, not being able to lead his team and make a name for himself. This game ended off with a field goal by bears kicker, Cairo Santos, who kicked the field goal to give them the 16-13 lead. Losing to the Bears sent the Lions down to 0-10-1 and advanced the Bears record to 4-7.

The Buffalo Bills and New Orleans Saints also faced off on Thanksgiving. It was very clear to see who the winner would be from the beginning of the game. The Bills had a 10-0 lead by halftime and the Saints could not get anything going for them. The game ended with a score of 31-6. The Saints could not even score on an extra point. The Bills star quarterback, Josh Allen, led them to this win with 260 passing yards and 4 throwing touchdowns. Although he threw 2 interceptions, it did not seem to affect the game. This added another win to the Bills record, bringing them to 7-4, and giving the Saints a losing record of 5-6.

The highest scoring of the Thanksgiving games, the Las Vegas Raiders vs. the Dallas Cowboys. This game was debatably the most entertaining of the three games with amazing performances from both teams. On the Raiders side, their quarterback, Derek Carr, threw for 373 yards and 1 touchdown. Josh Jacobs, the Raiders running back ran for 87 yards and 1 touchdown. Carr’s threw to a wide range of receivers but Desean Jackson and Hunter Renfrow stood out. They combined for 236 catching yards together. The Cowboys quarterback since 2016, Dak Prescott, threw for 375 yards and 2 touchdowns. Dak threw mainly to receivers Michael Gallup and Cedrick Wilson They also had a kick return touchdown by running back Tony Pollard, that went for 100 yards. This back and forth game ended in overtime when the Raiders kicker, Daniel Carson, kicked a field goal to win the game. The final score was 36-33. Even though they had lost, the Cowboys still have a great record of 7-4, and the Raiders going up to a 6-5 record.

These games were entertaining to millions all over the US, but what do students of Hills think about them?

Freshman Daniel Geraghty said, “I gotta say there have been 6 teams and 3 outstanding games all in one day. You start off with a classical rivalry that goes right to the Chicago Bears vs the Detroit Lions. Next, we head to the Dallas Cowboys vs the Las Vegas Raiders. And last but not least, we finish off the night with full bellies, watching the Buffalo Bills and New Orleans Saints. Overall, when it comes to football, this is my favorite time of the year knowing that there will be food all over the table while watching the game.”

This year’s NFL Thanksgiving is surely one to remember.