The W.H.H.S Theater Production brings “PUFFS” to Wayne Hills

By Sasha Budesa, Lizzy Boulos

PUFFS, a hysterical retelling of a popular book series, is coming to Wayne Hills!

The W.H.H.S Theater Workshop tells the story of Wayne Hopkins, a regular boy turned-wizard who goes on magical adventures and meets whacky friends over a seven-year period at “a certain school of magic and magic.” The Patriot Press stopped by rehearsals this week to get an inside scoop on the upcoming play.

When asked about the production, Amy Hecht, a junior and cast member, said, “My favorite part is that it is an extremely funny spinoff of a popular book series. It’s hilarious and you can exaggerate everything you already know.” The enthusiasm for the play among the cast was remarkable.

Mrs. Jeronis, the producer of the play, told us that she discovered PUFFS when looking for a play that was both a lot of fun and out-of-the-box. She said that although dramatic plays are great, she thinks a lot more people could get behind comedy and was looking for a more lively production this fall. Mrs. Jeronis found the script for PUFFS hysterical and immediately looked into getting the licensing. 

Mrs. Jeronis further explained that PUFFS is going to be a much more fast-paced performance that’ll keep the cast members on their toes. She says the audience is going to be very engaged and the jokes will go over well, noting that PUFFS has a deadpan style of humor that will resonate with the audience. She described how the play encourages its characters to break the fourth wall, noting a comic moment when a character walks into their ‘Ancient Runes’ class and turns to look at the audience to say, “It’s about rocks.”

The cast seems to love the play’s sarcastic style of comedy: Vanessa Brown, a senior who plays Leanne, Ginny, Helga, and Frenchy, told us, “The best part of the show is Carlos [Pistolesi-Inciardi], he is SO funny!”

Commenting on what the audience will enjoy from the play, Mrs. Jeronis says that friends and family of the cast members will love seeing their children and peers take on many different roles. She brought up one cast member, Frankie Pistolesi-Inciardi, who has a total of 11 different roles. Mrs. Jeronis says that the absolute absurdity of seeing the performers simply put on a different hat and become a completely different character will be a hilarious sight to see.

On COVID-19 guidelines, Mrs. Jeronis assured us that this year’s fall production will be held inside, saying that it was the safer option. Mrs. Jeronis said, “Being outside was fun, but this year will have much less obstacles.” She explained further that everyone is used to following COVID-19 procedures, such as wearing masks and socially distancing, and is confident the play will move forward without any issues. 

The fall theater production will premier on December 2nd, 3rd, and 4th at 7:00 PM. The cast list is shown below. 

Aidan Woodside ……………………………………………………………….Wayne Hopkins

Dylan Misquita …………………………………………………..……………….. Oliver Rivers

Jaein Han ……………………………………………………………………….. Megan Rivera

Maya Lozea ……………………………………………………………………………. Narrator

Frankie Pistolesi- Inciardi ………. Ernie Mac/ A Very Tall Man/ Seamus/ A Certain Potions Teacher/ Professor Turban/ Professor Locky/ Mr. Nick/ Sal/ Second Headmaster/ Real Mr. Moody

Val Woodside …….. Hannah/ The First Headmaster/ Professor McG/ Professor Sprouty/ Xavia Jones/ Professor Lanny/ Runes Teach/ Ms. Babble

Sharon Hecht……. J.Finch Fletchly/ Uncle Dave/ Goyle/ A Fat Friar/ Clumsy Longbottom/ Hermeoone #3/ Viktor/ Mr. Bagman/ Zac Smith

Vanessa Brown……………………………………………… Leanne/ Ginny/ Helga/ Frenchy

Liz Grant ………. Sally Perks/ Hermeoone/ Blondo Malfoy/ Rowena/ Rita Scooter/ Bippy

Amy Hecht ………………….. Susie Bones/ Harry/ Colin/ Hermeoone #2/ Ric Gryff/ Myrtle

Carlo Pistolesi-Inciardi ……………………………………………………….. Cedric/ Mr. Voldy

Jessica McMonagle, Brynn Buckley, Julia “Jay” Ferreira, Chelsea Lewis, Madelyn Colucci, Denisa Zuta …PUFFS/ Death Buddies