Pam Clark Under the Alumni Spotlight

By Jaclyn Dericks

There are several alumni from WHHS who have returned to the school as teachers, some we didn’t even know about. It is interesting to see how things in their lives have changed, and what is different from being a student to now having more authority as a teacher. Pam Clark graduated from WHHS in 2002 and is now the photography teacher here, “It was very strange at first.  A few of the current teachers were teachers when I was a student.  I am really impressed by how much the school climate has changed since I was a student.  There is now a great sense of community and school spirit, everyone is much more inclusive and positive,” said Clark. She comments on how it was somewhat difficult to adjust to the school as a teacher after having been a student here for four years. One big change was calling her co-workers by their first name, especially the ones that had taught her while she was a student. Clark and her photography teacher, the late Gorden Ryerson, had talked multiple times about her teaching here, however, it wasn’t until after college when she was working in industry that she gave it serious thought about returning to WHHS as a photography teacher. Although it was strange at first, her co-workers were super welcoming and treated her as a teacher as well, which made easing into the job not difficult at all. “I really enjoyed my experience as a student at Hills, but I love teaching even more. Working doesn’t feel like ‘work’,” said Clark. It is admiring to see teachers who are so passionate about their job, as Clark says she could not see herself teaching anything else.