What Are Student and Teacher Opinions on The Mask Mandate?

By Emily Kozak, Lilibeth Arriaga

This year, Wayne schools have mandated masks for all its students because of COVID. 

Even before the first day of school Wayne parents have stated their strong opinions on wearing masks at back-to-school meetings. Most people are happy with the Covid safety rules, but there are some people that disagree with the mandate. Although many have their own opinions this is still a very effective way to keep everyone safe. It’s important to ask the students and staff members what their opinions are about wearing masks.

Covid has been a serious issue for a while now, causing serious problems to people. President Joe Biden has recently announced to encourage K-12 schools to mandate masks. Wearing masks can prevent any transmissions of Covid-19 through students, which is highly encouraged by the CDC to wear masks at all times in school.  

A sophomore student in Wayne Hills, Jared Alexander stated, “I’m used to wearing a mask” As he also said, “ It gets hot, It’s not the worst thing. Better than getting sick.” Although many find it frustrating to wear a mask it is the safest way to prevent any students from getting sick. 

Students aren’t the only ones confused about the mask mandate. Teachers are having to make sure students actually wear their masks properly which can be really annoying for them. On top of trying to create a productive learning environment for their students, teachers have to make sure Covid safety is kept.

Mr.Turso, a history teacher at Wayne Hills, is frustrated by the mask mandate. “I hate it because I can’t get to know my students,” he states.