An extremely divided Senate confirmed Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s nominee, onto the Supreme Court on Saturday, and he was sworn in shortly thereafter. Surprising? No. Completely and utterly absurd? Most definitely.
The mere emotional and over-dramatized reaction Brett Kavanaugh displayed at his hearing, along with rude and sarcastic answers to Senators on the Judicial Committee, emphasizes his improper and dishonorable character, and shows how he is unfit to serve on the nation’s highest court. In fact, in a poll of 123 students from WHHS, 46 percent thought him to be untruthful, while the remaining 54 percent sided with Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused him of sexually assaulting her when they were in high school.
With regard to the FBI’s week-long investigation, Julie Swetnick, one of the women who came forward accusing Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, stated that she had witnessed Kavanaugh decades ago take part in systemic gang rapes. These allegations were not only brought forward to the public, according to Fox News, but disregarded by the majority of the Supreme Court members. Yet, despite numerous pleads from victims, Democrats and protestors, the Senate voted in Kavanaugh in one of the closest margins in US history, 50 to 48, making the majority on the court conservative, according to the New York Times.
Kavanaugh’s positions might be radically harmful to women’s reproductive rights. The mere fact of Kavanaugh’s hesitancy to explicitly state that he would not vote to reverse Roe v. Wade reveals his true sexist opinions towards abortion.
In addition to his harmful views on abortion, Kavanaugh disagreed with a portion of the Affordable Care Act that required insurers to cover contraception, even if it opposes their religious views. He further illustrates his harmful positions to women’s reproductive rights by believing that forcing employers to submit the form that covers the workers’ contraception at no expense to the employers violated their religious liberty.
Nevertheless, Kavanaugh is unfit to work on the Supreme Court Justice system due to his immature and unstable emotional state and harmful political views, regardless of whether the allegations pressed against him are true or not.