The Newly Formed Wayne Knights Make a Statement

Dean Hulbert (left) playing in 2016. (Photo: Michael Karas/NorthJersey.com File)

By Andrew Topielski and Ali Redzepi, Staff Writers

The Wayne Knights hockey team, which takes its players from both Wayne Hills and Wayne Valley, is off to a great start. Last weekend, the first of the season, they went 2-0, beating West Milford and Ridgewood. This came as a surprise to many. Wayne’s crowd was undeniably big, and consequently, there was a lot of energy at the Ice Vault on the Knights’ opening night. The Knight’s will play the majority of their games at the Vault.

The final score against West Milford was 10-1, a massively successful first step in a long season. Dean Hulbert, Hills senior and Knights player, gained three points that night. The two goals and one assist he scored gave Hulbert over 100 points in total through his high school hockey career, a huge accomplishment for the former captain of the now-defunct Wayne Hills Hockey Team. Additionally, the Knight’s shot out West Milford 59-12.

On December 1st at 8 pm, the Knights will take on Indian Hills. This should be interesting as they will play Ramapo at 6:15pm. Dean Hulbert- Senior at Hills, ” We are looking forward to a great season. The two schools are really getting together as one team. We expect to achieve some big things this year.”