Spreading Awesomeness During Ability Awareness Month

By Jenna Sundel and Kathryn Durot

May is a pretty great month as summer vacation comes closer and the temperatures begin to rise, but the Wayne School District is making May even more exciting by declaring May as Ability Awareness Month

Ability Awareness Month is a time for students to initiate new friendships and embrace positive lifestyle changes. Students will be asked to gravitate to areas outside of their comfort zones and to celebrate individuality. The goal of “Ability Awareness Month” is to reduce prejudice and unite the student body. “The district is coming together to find commonalities between students and to celebrate the students” says Jennifer Varano, the teacher coordinator of the Wayne School District.

Sme of the key virtues highlighted during this month are kindness, acceptance, trust friendship, and respect. Students in all schools will be able to purchase bracelets with these attributes on them. The bracelets are $2 each and will be sold at WHHS on May 24. Students in the special education program are looking forward to helping to sell the bracelets, because it will be a beneficial learning experience for them.  All proceeds go to the Wayne Special Parents Association (WSPA).The goal of the WSPA is, “helping parents of children with special education needs. The…WSPA believes in the strength of parents helping parents and in the synergy of parents and educators working within the community to ensure that each child with special needs is afforded opportunities to develop and grow as a full, capable person.”

Please join us during the month of May in spreading love, understanding, and positivity. A little bit of kindness certainly goes a long way.