Student Spotlight : Brandon Kim

By Katie Durot, Staff Writer

College is a stress-inducing thought for most high schoolers, but some students, like Brandon Kim, are proactive spirits who take their futures into their own hands. Brandon Kim is only a sophomore but that doesn’t stop him from getting his foot in the door.

He attended  the Tisch School of Arts at NYU last summer and is set to repeat that experience this summer. He is a part of their summer theater program for high school students and is attending this program on a full scholarship. Brandon hopes to one day pursue theater as not only a career path, but a lifestyle. He has been performing since the young age of five and has stuck with it through elementary school, to middle school, and is now seeing it through to the end of high school.

He is currently playing “Northbrook”, a promising investor in our musical “Mary Poppins”. But it doesn’t end there. While in “Mary Poppins”, he is simultaneously in two other performances, “West Side Story” and “Slut”. Brandon balances three different rehearsal schedules, homework, school stress, and a part-time job. You might be asking yourself how he manages to pull all of that off while still being able to be supportive friend.

A close friend of his, Eric Miller says, “Brandon is a great guy. He’s so devoted to every aspect of the theater world. He’s got such a passion for theater and such a good heart. He’s always so willing to help and it always comes with a smile and a snappy remark to keep you on your toes.”