English Premier League Update

Eden Hazards play for Chelsea has him among the likes of the best players in the sport.

Muzul

Eden Hazard’s play for Chelsea has him among the likes of the best players in the sport.

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

With only twelve weeks left in the season, teams in the English Premier League look to make their way up the rankings and finish with a crown.
The leader, Chelsea, will look to stay above the pack at 60 points, 8 ahead of 2nd place Manchester City at the moment. Chelsea has done a good job this season fighting off their misfortunes and bad play of last season. They have been dominant so far this season, beating many quality teams. They have won one-sided games against some of the best teams, which include beating Manchester United 4-0, Everton 5-0, and Arsenal 3-1. They have had their fair share of bad losses, but always seem to respond. Chelsea has not lost in their last 5 Premier League matches, recording 9 points in that span. They are also still alive in the FA Cup Quarterfinals. Teams will have a hard time catching up to the Blues.
In 2nd place right now is Manchester City, who always seem to be around that top tier of teams. Manchester City has been pretty consistent this year, however, they do have some  bad losses recently, 4-2 against Leicester City and 4-0 against Everton. City will need to play lights out from this point until the end of the season to catch up to a really good Chelsea squad.
In third through sixth place are four teams battling to get ahead of each other and keep their season alive. Even if they cannot catch up to Chelsea these squads will fight for a top four finish and the right to play in the UEFA Champions League. In 3rd place right now is Tottenham with 50 points. They have had a pretty successful season this year, making it higher than they usually do, but the fans want even more from their team. In 4th also with 50 points is Arsenal. The Gunners once again are disappointing their fans. It seems as though they come in the top four every year, but always fail to capture first. Arsenal’s coach, Arsene Wenger has come under fire recently and fans are calling for his job because he has not delivered a first place team since 2004. Sitting at 5th place is Liverpool with 49 points and at 6th is Manchester United with 48. Never count anybody out though, as fans know from watching Leicester City win the League last year anything can happen.
Speaking of Leicester City, Premier league fans are wondering where the Foxes are. They are at 21 points and sitting one spot above the relegation zone at 17th place. They have fired their manager and are at their lowest this season. Maybe fans expected too much out of Leicester as when they won the League last year, which was for the first time ever in their history. Their odds were 5,000 to 1 to win, which made them extreme underdogs. They certainly have not duplicated that amazing run this season.
Fans are getting more and more excited as the season goes on. “Well, right now we’re in 1st, but we need to keep it up because with the toughness of this league, any team can make a run. The teams behind us are all capable of catching up, so we just need to keep the pace up. Leicester is a huge disappointment this year, but I did not expect that much from them, I think last year was just a one-time thing for them,” said freshman Chelsea fan, Drew Siwicki.
As the season winds down, we will have to wait and see if anyone can catch up to Chelsea.