Seniors Organize Basketball League (WSL)

By Jake Samieske, Senior Sports Editor

The concrete of Schuyler Colfax Middle School. For some, it is just a beaten down blacktop. For 30 Wayne Hills Seniors, however, it is a court of dreams.

After experimenting with an opening summer season last year, WHHS seniors have officially formed a spring basketball league led by commissioner Marco Caprioni and co-commissioner Nikola Stojanovic.

The league has six teams of five players, including the Foxes, the Marco Polo’s, Jerusalem Jets, Oregon Organs, the Warsaw War-Saw’s, and the newly added Chile Peppers. The captains of each team are Jake Samieske, Marco Caprioni, Harris Rosen, Joseph Fraunberger, James Dianuzzo, and Joey Cunningham, respectively.

“I like the league because we have funny team names,” explained Nikola Stojanovic.

The teams were formed following the second annual Wayne Spring League (WSL) draft, on February 11th. The draft was facilitated by none other than Wayne Hills finest Calculus wizard, Mr. Todd Green. All players and captains wore elaborate attire and put out press releases following each pick. There was live commentary on the WSL twitter page.

“I enjoyed the draft because I thought it was nice to see the guys be passionate about basketball and come together for it. It was fun to be a part of,” added Mr. Green.

For many, the league has become more than just a game. It has been a way to form unbreakable friendships, express competitive nature, bring the WHHS community together, and simply to have fun while trying to balance all the stresses of high school.

“For someone who hasn’t ever played organized ball in their lives, the WSL is a pretty cool way to get this work in with my boys and enjoy a sport that we all love to play,” explained Jets center Maros Ademec.

For more about the league, follow our twitter page @SummerLeague_W where you can find twitter pages of all teams, and take a look at our website at: http://marcocaprioni99.wixsite.com/waynesummerleague

Lastly, don’t forget to come out and support! The league begins in mid-April. We hope to see you then sporting your team’s colors!