Mexican President Peña Nieto and President Trump Cancel Meeting

By Hanna Qira, Staff Writer

The Mexican President, Enrique Peña Nieto, recently canceled a trip to The United States to meet President Trump.

In a tweet,  Peña Nieto stated, “This morning we have informed the White House that I will not attend the meeting scheduled for next Tuesday with the POTUS.” Trump said that he and Peña Nieto mutually agreed to cancel the meeting. Trump also restated his position that Mexico will pay for his proposed border wall to keep out illegal Mexican immigrants.

Trump tweeted, “If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting.” He also tweeted about the US’s trade deficit with Mexico, which is at 60 billion dollars.

Peña Nieto has repeatedly said that Mexico will not pay for the wall, which Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell says would cost from $12-$15 billion.

Trump then signed two executive orders, one for the construction of the wall and one to boost border patrol forces.  

Sophomore Natalie Abaza said, “I don’t think that Mexico will back down. I don’t see how Trump can go through with this.”

Peña Nieto has said that Mexico offers and expects respect. He said that Mexico offers their friendship to The United States.   

Trump has already started designing the border wall, saying, “A lot of people say, ‘Oh, Trump was only kidding with the wall.’ I wasn’t kidding. I don’t kid.”