Wayne Hills Marching Band Sets School Record

By Seth Friedman, Staff Writter

The Wayne Hills marching band received a gold rating and a score of 90.9 during their competition at Wayne Hills High School last week, the best score by Wayne Hills in this competition ever.

The band was led onto the field by 50 alumni, cheerleaders, and the football team.  They put on a great performance, however, it was not good enough.  They came in second place, runner up to Bergenfield High School.  There were 18 high schools competing, so coming in second place was very impressive and certainly a confidence booster for the team.

Even though the Wayne Hills band was unable to win at home, “I think we had a pretty good performance and we all performed up to expectations” said sophomore Jason Kobrin, who plays the trumpet in the marching band.

The marching band is much improved this season compared to the last season. Especially in this last competition at Wayne Hills, which could be due in part to the new theme of this year’s competition.  This year’s theme was “the launch” which really appeared to motivate the team.

The band is looking to continue their momentum into the championships that are coming up soon at Toms River High School. They got postponed last weekend due to rain. The marching band is hard at work, practicing and preparing for the championships, where they are extremely determined to perform well and in hopes to win the championship.

“We have set the bar high and are up for the challenge,” said Kobrin. It would be a great way for the team to cap off an excellent season with a win at Toms River.