Freshman Activities Fair Acquaints New Students with Clubs

By Chekia G & Tanasia Weaver, Staff Writers

WHHS hosted the annual Freshman Activities Fair where students and advisers showcased activities and clubs of the year. The were about 22 clubs available at the fair, which was held on September 20, 2016.

Music Department

The music department hosts clubs and different classes that anyone can join even if you have never played an instrument before. The Music department is a combination of symphonic band, jazz band, winter guard, and color guard/marching band as clubs. As classes of music theory and chorus you can join yearly. The adviser is Matthew Paterno who is now also in charge of marching band. These clubs are interconnected and is open to anyone to join and enjoy.

Ski Team

Ski team is an athletic and competitive sport. Students take a ride to Mountain Creek weekly to compete for a winning placement. It’s been going on for 6 years and the adviser is Mr. Stranded

GSA Club

GSA stand for Gay Straight Alliance Club is a safe place for anyone who wants to raise awareness and encourage each other with any problems a student may be facing. For a club that just because known last year it’s gaining more members. This club is welcoming an members with open arms by the two advisers Nancy Kowalski and Matti Sicherer.

International Club

Students meet after school to share their culture,stories, and leadership of what country they came from. It’s a club with about 15 students and has been around for five years. ESL Teacher Maggie Holland is in charge of this club.

Engineering Club

Prepare for the Engineer Olympics. Students at WHHS design an egg drop and build a car using any material other than a motor. 

Swim club is the second most populated club available at WHHS.” so I don’t drown”

With 35 teammates. It is a safe and fun activity for students to be able to experience. Providing a  welcoming and social atmosphere with the help of the coaches makes swim team a great experience for all.

Lantern Club

Lantern club is a group of people who put different pieces of verbal art onto pages. For example, passages from Senior Megan Rose’s book and other forms of poetry by students who wish to submit. The Lantern Club’s annual publication is a great way for participants who love creative writing.

Future Business Leaders of America

FBLA is one of the most beneficial clubs in the real world. Providing a basis for students to be able to get experience and a nice letter at the end of the club to give to colleges. The club is for any students who are interested in pursuing business in college and provides great exposure to them.

Photo Club

A great way to see different perspectives through the same photo. With a total of 20 different members the club is very welcoming even with no photo experience and even using a cell phone camera at times. “Being able to express myself without saying words but though a picture” a two year member said is the best thing about the club. With the help of the adviser Pamela Clark, it is the place to be after school.

Graphic Design Club

The Graphic Design Club is one of the most dynamic clubs. All students are welcomed, the only requirement being passion. Wanting to express  art though drawing either on paper or on the computer is a fantastic visual design that can be used for labels around the school and or posters for the athletic teams.

WHHS offers several different clubs for individual personalities. There is a club for everyone whether you like to swim or take pictures, a club is there for you.